Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Times are bad...

...children don't obey their parents and everyone is writing a book." (Cicero, 1st century Roman)

So apparently nothing has changed!  Everyone has a book inside his heart, and many of them have indeed started to write a book.  Even I have done this.  Aside from my poems, I wrote a children's book about a white golliwog.  Now, you have to understand that a golliwog is a black rag doll that was popular a hundred or more years ago, owing to books written about them.

Point is, the dolls are black and this golliwog was white and he wanted to be black because he thought that was better....or cooler...or something...I sent it out to several publishers years ago and was rejected.  A rough copy sits under my desk in a manila envelope. 

Then the other day I read an article about a woman who sent her book out 60 times before it was published and was ashamed I had only sent mine out a few times.

How easily we are discouraged!  I should have tried harder!  What did I have to lose but some postage..Why can't we accept that we may not be pathetic losers, but instead are perhaps ahead of our time?

No comments:

Post a Comment